To make the clutches, I began with this tutorial posted on Craftster. I used a couple of fabrics from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane fabrics and a coordinating green. In the end, I modified the tutorial quite a bit:
- I reduced the width of the purse by about 3 inches. I, personally, hate a large clutch. I find them unwieldy.
- I ditched the pleating on the backside. It didn't seem worth the effort.
- The tutorial instructs one to cut out regular rectangles for all of the unpleated panels. I found that they didn't lay flat, so I cut the top edge of each of these panels to mirror the angles of the bottom of the handle panels.
- I changed the construction method entirely in order to avoid having to topstitch the edge. Generally speaking, I try to avoid topstitching at all costs as I have no faith in either my or my 35-year-old (and never once maintenanced) sewing machine's ability to sew a straight and uniform stitch.
- Finally, I added a fun fabric flower!