So, these pillows haunted me. I wanted them so bad! And I couldn't seem to find any fabric online that was both as large in scale as these and in blue, which is what I had my heart set on. I had several ideas for how to execute what I was looking for...including screenprinting (which didn't seem worth it since I only needed to make about a fat quarter's worth of fabric), appliquing (which seemed like a lot of work to not know exactly how the final product might look), and painting (which I actually tried and quickly learned that it was just too messy...and stiff). I picked the brain of my uber-creative friend Kate who had some interesting ideas, including crocheting/knitting, which could be super cool, but I just wasn't willing to put in the effort.
In the end, I went with what was arguably an obvious choice. I designed my own jumbo blue houndtooth and made my own fabric thanks to Spoonflower where you can basically get anything you want printed on a variety of different fabric choices. I created this design using my recently downloaded Inkscape software.
At first, I'd dismissed Spoonflower as an option, simply because I thought it would be too expensive. I mean, I paid $27 for a yard of cotton-linen blend canvas (which is easily outside my fabric pricing comfort zone). However, I can get about 6 pillow covers out of a yard if I use a plain backing. So, if you think about it, it's not such a bad deal at all.
Anyway, I'm loving my new pillows, and I'm so glad those Apartment Therapy pillows haunted me into creating my own!
I also threw together some new accent pillows for the bed. We have a teal coverlet with no shams. I felt like it looked a little plain, so I finally put some bargain fabric to use to make a couple of little lumbar pillows that I think are just enough to pass the Michael test.
I picked up a roll of Ikea window shade fabric from Goodwill a couple of years ago for $3. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but for about 10 feet of fabric it was a great deal that I knew I had to snatch up. I paired it with some beige quilting cotton and some leftover batting and stuffed it full of, er, stuffing. Done and done.